Your Needs – Now and in the Future
Try to buy a home that meets most of your needs for the next 5 to 10 years, or find a home that can grow and change with your needs.
Here are some things to consider.
- How many bedrooms do you need?
- How many bathrooms do you need?
- Do you need space for a home office?
- What kind of parking facilities do you need? For how many cars?
- Do you want air conditioning? If so, what type?
- Do you want storage or hobby space?
- Is a fireplace or a swimming pool high on your list?
- Do you have family members with special needs?
- Do you want special features to save energy, enhance indoor air quality, and reduce environmental impact?
Lifestyles and stages
No matter what type of housing you choose, you must have a clear idea of your needs today as well as your possible future needs. These are some examples of questions home buyers might ask:
- Do I need a home office?
- Do I plan to have children?
- Do I have teenagers who will be moving away soon?
- Am I close to retirement?
- Will I need a home that can accommodate different stages of life?
- Do I have an older relative who might come to live with me?
What Location Should You Choose?
Location is a critical factor. A home with everything you need but in the wrong location, is probably not the right home for you.
Here are some things to consider about location.
- Do you want to live in a city, a town or in the countryside?
- How easy will it be to get to where you work? How much will the commuting cost?
- Where will you children go to school? How will they get there?
- Do you need a safe walking area or recreational facility, such as a park, nearby?
- How close would you like to be to family and friends?